Central America: A Visit to Central American Integration System
By Eliecer Araya, UPF Central America
On November 28, 2017, Dr. Charles S. Yang met with the new Secretary General of SICA the Former President of Guatemala the Hon. Vinicio Cerezo Arevalo, the meeting was held in El Salvador in his office in the General Secretariat of the Central American Integration System (SG-SICA) Topics such as: peace, cooperation and regional integration, the challenges of the future and the contributions and support that UPF can make to the goals and vision of SICA and how together they can make positive contributions to the peace in the Central American region and offered the possibility of making a joint work agenda in the region. Dr. Yang invited him to participate in the next ILC2018 to be held in Seoul Korea in the month of February.
Dr. Yang’s visited El Salvador November 29 to 30, 2017:
- Charles Yang visited El Salvador with Dr. Santiago Rivas, Secretary General of the Forum of Presidents of Legislative Powers of Central America and the Caribbean Basin (FOPREL)
- During their visit they had meetings with Dr. Vinicio Cerezo, General Secretary of the Central American Integration System (SICA)
- He also had a meeting with Mr. Dagoberto Marroquin, Co-President of UPF El Salvador and Mr. Mario Ponce, Deputy and Head of the Parliamentary Group of the National Concertation Party (PCN).
- And with Mr. Guillermo Gallegos, President of the Legislative Assembly of El Salvador
Details of the Meetings
- Meeting with the Secretary General of SICA (November 29, at 4:00 p.m.)
- The meeting between Dr. Yang and Dr. Cerezo (Former President of Guatemala) has been managed by Dr. Rivas
- Yang introduced the UPF and the IAPP with the plans in the coming months, and explained about the effort developed by IAPP in the search for a peaceful solution to the tension around the Korean Peninsula and invited Dr. Cerezo to be part of this effort
- Cerezo explained that being Secretary General of SICA, to be able to accept invitations has to submit to the consideration of the Presidents of the Member States of SICA, he asked that by having more details to send him the invitation to be able to do internal process
- On the other hand, Dr. Rivas proposed the possibility of joint work between UPF, FOPREL and SICA in an educational project for peace
Meeting with the Co-Chair of UPF El Salvador and Head of the Parliamentary Group of the PCN (November 29, at 7:00 p.m.)
- Yang exchanged views with Mr. Ponce on the visit to Washington D.C., who will accompany the President of the Legislative Assembly to advocate for the extension of TPS from El Salvador
- Ponce has been appointed as Ambassador for Peace by UPF within the framework of the launch of the El Salvador Chapter of the IAPP
- Also, Dr. Yang shared the IAPP projects of the coming months
Meeting with the President of the Legislative Assembly (November 30, at 7:30 a.m.)
- Yang discussed the visit of a Legislative Mission with the Minister of Foreign Affairs who will be headed by Mr. Gallegos to Washington D.C. during December 5-7, to advocate for Salvadorans benefited by Temporary Protected Status (TPS), in the United States
- Yang, as part of the effort of the AIPP initiative, managed to visit Mr. Gallegos and his delegation to the Washington Times, on December 7, at 10:00 am, to hold a meeting with the President and team of journalists of the Washington Times to evaluate the possibility of publishing a special supplement on the contribution of the Salvadoran Community in the USA, in order to generate favorable opinions for the extension of the TPS to the 190,000 Salvadoran beneficiaries.