Inauguration of the IAPP Marshall Islands
by Kenichi ITO, UPF Marshall Island
The Inauguration of the International Association of Parliamentarians for Peace (IAPP) Republic of the Marshall Islands was successfully conducted on July 29, 2017 at the Events Hall at the Marshall Islands Resort in Majuro.
There were about 21 participants, including seven high level figures including current and former Members of Parliament, two former Presidents, one former First Lady as well as one former Vice President, one current Minister and one Vice Minister.
The event took place as follows:
1) Rev Ken Ito, President of UPF Republic of Marshall Islands, gave the opening remarks and explained about the back ground of IAPP including an UPF Introductory video presentation.
2) Then Hon. Kessai H. Note, IAPP-Oceania Co-Chair, gave the main address, speaking detailing his experiences while attending IAPP events over the past year in Nepal as well as in Washington DC and at this year‘s Summit in Korea. He explained how IAPP is working for the world peace and development and is effective assisting nations such as RMI in their efforts for regional peace and development.
3) Rev. Gregory Stone, Secretary-General of UPF-Oceania presented a PowerPoint about the principles of peace including the importance of values education in schools, family values etc.
4) Then, Rev. Ito read the IAPP-Marchall Island resolution statement and invited all the attendees to sign it. The IAPP Marshall Islands was thus inaugurated.
5) Free discussion took place regarding the future of IAPP-Marshall Islands. This was chaired by Hon .K. Note until the close.
Our participants included:
- Hon. Kessai H. Note, Senator, Co-Chair of IAPP Oceania, former President(2000～2007)
- Hon. Litokwa Tomein, Senator, former President (2008～2010)
- Hon. Brenson Wase, Senator, Current Minister of Finance
- Hon. Mrs. Anono Lieom Loeak, Former First Lady (20012～2015)
- Hon. Witton Philippo, Lawyer ,former Senator & Vice President
- Mr. Phil Philippo, Current Vice Minister of Transport & Communication, former Director of Cabinet
- Mrs. Yolanda Lodge, Lawyer, former Chief Secretary of Cabinet
- Mr. Hilton Kendall, Member of Constitutional Committee, Vice President of RMI Development Bank
- Mr. Jien Lekka, Member of Constitutional Committee
- Mr. Jim Philippo, Vice President of Tobolar (National Coco Company)
- Mr Joe Talley, IT Engineer, US Kuwait-Iraq War Veteran
- Mr Dean Lajedrick, Majuro Local Government officer
- Mrs Clorida Philippo, National Police officer
- Mrs Linda Talley, Business Lady
- Rev Gregory Stone, SG of UPF Oceania
- Rev Kenichi ITO, President of UPF-RMI
- Ms Claire Loeak , Assistant to former First Lady , Attorney
- Ms. Rosemary Loeak, Middle School Teacher
- Hon Thom Kijinner, RMI Ambassador to Japan, Korea
It was a small scale, but a very rich and meaningful event.