Nigeria: Maiden Revival Meeting for PWPA
By George M. Ogurie, FFWPU Nigeria
The maiden revival meeting of Professors World Peace Academy Nigeria was held at Beverly Hills Hotel, Wuse 11, Abuja, on May 3rd, 2017. The participants were:
- Professor Chimele Abengowe, Professor of Cardiology at the National Hospital Abuja (Formerly at Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria
- Professor Ralph Akinfeleye, Professor of Mass Communication at University of Lagos, Lagos
- Professor Rosemary K. Udeozor, Professor of Educational Management, University of Abuja
- Mrs. Margaret Chukwu – Kikunda, Admin Secretary, FFWPU Nigeria
- Dr. Raphael Oko, Secretary General, UPF Nigeria
- Mr. Bernard Oko, UPF Staff
- Mr. Idowu Amusa, President, International Association of Youth and Students for Peace, Nigeria
- Mrs. Gbemisola Olunfunmi, President, Women’s Federation for World Peace, Nigeria
- Dr. George C. Ikpot, Secretary General, PWPA Nigeria (Recently appointed)
- Mrs. Carmella Ikpot, (Wife of Dr. Ikpot)
- Rev. George M. Ogurie, President of FFWPU Nigeria – Convener
Rev. George Ogurie, as the convener, in his welcoming remarks appreciated all participants especially Professor Akinfeleye who came all the way from Lagos to attend the meeting and who was one of the early members of PWPA from the 1980s. Rev Ogurie conveyed the apologies of Professor Jacob Oluyemi, President of PWPA Nigeria, who was unavoidably absent due to ill health.
He then emphasized the efforts of PWPA Founders, Dr. Sun Myung Moon and Dr. Hak Ja Han Moon in promoting world peace by mobilizing people of every calling, including professors. He then read out a message of greeting from Dr. Thomas Selover, the International President of PWPA. In that message, Dr. Selover urged participants to “… vigorously discuss positive steps to advance PWPA in ways that contribute to “national restoration” in Nigeria and beyond.” At the end of his remark Rev. Ogurie introduced Dr. George Ikpot as the newly appointed Secretary General of PWPA Nigeria. He informed the house that according to the constitution of PWPA, the appointment of Secretary General is the prerogative of the leadership of the larger movement and approved by the international office of PWPA, while other officers of PWPA are elected by its local members.
Dr. Ikpot made a PowerPoint presentation of past activities of PWPA in Nigeria. During his presentation, he noted that PWPA commenced in Nigeria since 1982 with late Professor John Shodipo as its First President. PWPA Nigeria held annual conferences for ten years without miss between 1982 and 1992. Dr. Ikpot reported about special conferences that were held on agricultural research; as the founders had been interested in funding research to boost food production in Africa in order to solve the food problem. The achievements at the time included the publication of two books and various research reports that were presented to various levels of government for consideration and implementation. Dr. Ikpot, pointing out the timeliness of this revival meeting, stressed the need for professors to come together again on the platform of PWPA to research and synergize ideas to deal with the myriad socio-political and economic crises that many African nations are beset with.
National Leader and Convener, Rev. Ogurie further shared the Founder’s vision as expressed in a 1983 speech during a PWPA Congress in Seoul. Participants echoed that the speech, though given 34 years ago, is still relevant today. According Professor Rosemary Udeozor, “…minus communism, which was a matter of central concern then, everything in this speech applies to the situation of our country today.”
During the general discussion, the following agreements and decisions were reached.
- Professor Ralph Akinfeleye moved a motion for re-launch of PWPA Nigeria at a national conference to be held later in the year. The motion was supported by Professor Rosemary Udeozor.
- Theme of the conference will be “THE ROLE OF THE ACADEMIA IN ACHIEVING NATIONAL UNITY, PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT.’’ There will be 8-10 sub-themes which will include issues on indiscipline and corruption.
- There will be three main speakers on each of the key words – PEACE, UNITY and DEVELOPMENT.
- It should be a two-day conference – 25-26 October 2017 (arrival on 24th, departure on 27th October).
- The conference will hold in Abuja. The venue will be the auditorium of the National Universities Commission (NUC) or the UNESCO Hall at the National Commission on Colleges of Education (NCCE).
- Expected number participants for the conference: 200.
- An organizing committee for the national conference will be setup at the next meeting.
- Participants should receive membership registration forms to be given out to colleagues and friends.
- All members and intending members should register with five thousand naira ($13.89) only. Conference participation fee will be fifteen thousand naira ($41.67) only. Annual dues to be paid by members will be decided at the next meeting. Fundraising for the conference will be carried out. All these will be to augment whatever support may come from PWPA headquarters.
- Next meeting was fixed for June 12th.
- Elections of officers will take place during the next meeting.
- Professor Chimele Abengowe proposed that Professor Akinfeleye be an acting President since the president is ill and may not be actively disposed to carry out such functions that may be required in organizing the conference. This proposal was accepted.
The meeting was adjourned with a motion for adjournment moved by Professor Akinfeleye and supported by Professor Udeozor.
Closing prayer was said by Professor Chimele Abengowe and after which dinner was served. At the end, the three professors received copies of the Peace Loving Global Citizen.