Congo: International Women’s Day 2017
Prepared by FFWPU Congo, Achille Mouanda
March 8 of each year is an opportunity for women from all around the world to come together, to take a look at the struggle over 100 years for equality, justice, peace and development. On the occasion of the International Women’s Day we had two events in Brazzaville and Pointe-Noire, with our motto as follow:
- At the international level, Planet 50-50 by 2030: Let’s move forward for the equality of the sexes;
- At the continental level, Year of Human Rights in Africa with special emphasis on women’s rights;
- At the national level:
- the role of women in maintaining peace during the electoral period;
- respect for women’s human rights as a guarantee for sustainable development;
- girls’ education on science, communications, information, technologies: empowering women.
In Brazzaville, 100 women leaders participated, including VIPs from Ministry of Women.
After the parade, Mrs. Bayissa Pétronie, Vice-President WFWP Congo, exchanged contact details for an upcoming appointment with Adelayde Mougany, Minister of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, and two United Nations delegates.
At the banquet, the Minister for the Advancement of Women Ines Ingani congratulated and thanked the WFWP Congo for their effort and dedication.
At Pointe-Noire, the event sponsored by the mayor of Pointe. The parade began at 11:50 am and ended at 14:00.”