GOP is accepting applications now for 2017-18
- True Mother offers scholarships for selected blessed children
- Learn Korean! Experience the Unification tradition and life style!
- Inherit the Culture of Heart! Take an Adventure!
The GOP (General Orientation Program) Korean language program in Korea for the international blessed children, moved to the HJ Cheonwon Complex (Heavenly Garden – the broad area around Cheon Jeong Gung and the Cheongpyeong Training Center) from Sun Hwa Arts School in Seoul in September 1, 2016 and True Mother gave us a new school name ‘Sunhak Institute of Korean Studies` for Foreign Blessed Children.
True Parents wish to enable international blessed children (aged 12～15) to have a chance to learn True Parents’ language, faith and tradition. At the end of 2014, True Mother assigned Yeon-Ah Nim as a new director of the international blessed children’s education. Now the GOP program is under Prof. Yeon-Ah Moon’s direction.
Dear Unificationist Parents,
You are warmly invited to consider sending your 12 to 15-year-old son or daughter to Korea to participate in the General Orientation Program (GOP) for Western students.
True Parents initiated the ten-month General Orientation Program in 1982, with the aim of encouraging students from around the world to learn the Korean language, Korean culture and the Unificationist way of life. Students live and study together with
their peers from around the world, which allows them to broaden their perspective not only by encountering different cultures and languages, but also by learning to live harmoniously with different personality types. They practice a life of faith, with daily hoondokhae and evening closing sessions, daily writing of reflections, weekly attendance at Sunday services, and participation in major church events. Everyone who comes to GOP learns Korean, but also grows in heart and spirit.
At the end of 2014, True Mother assigned to us a new principal, Yeon-Ah nim, Hyo-Jin nim’s wife. She has since taken a deep interest in our students and our program, which has helped to strengthen it. Despite her busy schedule, she has spent time with the students, encouraging them in their studies. Yeon-Ah nim points out that “only for a limited time will our young people have the opportunity to meet True Mother and participate in her activities here in Korea. This is therefore a very precious opportunity for second and third-generation members.”
The Western dormitory superintendent (dormitory parents) since GOP year 2015–2016 are Rev. Olaleye Isaiah Alao and his wife Takako. Rev. Alao served as national leader of Nigeria for eight years. Mrs. Takako Alao also has experience as a teacher and counselor. We are confident that this couple will take good care of your children, guide them well in developing their life of faith, and provide a warm and stable dormitory life.
Our True Mother directed that the dormitory and school of the General Orientation Program now be in HJ Cheonwon from the beginning of the 2016–2017 GOP year. We are now under the direct care and love of our True Mother!
You can anticipate that if your child is selected to attend GOP, he or she will receive True Mother’s scholarship for tuition.
Please feel free to contact our staff with any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you soon! God bless your families.
Introduction of the Program
Greetings from the Sunhak Institute of Korean Studies for Foreign Blessed Children! We would like to invite you to apply to our General Orientation Program (GOP), which provides a unique opportunity for blessed children from around the world to study Korean in our True Parents’ homeland. You will have the opportunity to learn the Korean language, experience Korean food, culture and lifestyle, and visit places where True Parents carried our their providential courses.
In our Sunhak Dormitory (The World Student Garden of Brothers and Sisters), you will live and study with blessed children from different cultures and backgrounds. Together you will learn to take ownership over your faith by broadening and deepening your understanding of God’s will and heart. You will also learn to inherit a culture of heart through caring for one other.
True Mother is offering scholarships to cover the tuition of a limited number of blessed children who meet the qualifications below.
- For 2nd or 3rd-generation blessed children, age 12 to 15.
- You must have completed elementary school (6th grade) by August.
- A basic understanding of the purpose of studying in Korea, and preparedness to follow the school schedule and dorm rules.
- To be spiritually and physically healthy.
- To be able to communicate in English.
- The school year is from September to June of the next year.
- Daily classes include Korean listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar and culture, as well as English, social studies and Divine Principle.
- The Program includes class trips once a month, designed to broaden your understanding of Korea and the Unification Church.
- You will have opportunity to participate in Cheong-pyeong workshops and Church Ceremonies with True mother.
- Recommendation from the local church is required.
- Send Application with picture, and photocopy of passport, and any other necessary documents.
- Need to talk Dorm Parents for detailed information.
After completing the one-year GOP program, you have the option of remaining in Korea to continue your education at a Korean middle school. Our institute provides an additional half year program of intensive Korean language study called PREP after GOP in preparation for Korean middle school. After that you can have the opportunity to attend the historical Sun Jung middle and high school attended by our True Mother in the early times.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: When does school start?
- A: School starts from the beginning of September, and the graduation takes place in June of the next year.
- Q: What is the Curriculum?
- A: Korean class-listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, Korean Culture, English, Math, Social Studies, Divine Principle, and Tongil Modoo. (Optional music lessons)
- Q: What is the selection procedure?
- A: Recommendation from the local church is required. The period of acceptance is from March to June 30, 2017.
- Q: What is the annual schedule?
- A: Besides being involved in a lot of regular academic and internal education, students participate in monthly field trips, Culture of Heart Festivals, Korean Speech Contests, Sports Festivals, Birthday parties, church events, and Cheong Pyeong Workshops.
- Western Office of Sunhak Institute
- Mr. Olaleye Alao
- Telephone: +82-10-72676208 / +82-31-5849525-6
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Skype: holaa1
- Address: 238-45 Misari-ro, Seorak-myeon, Gapyeong-gun, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea