Finding My True Self
By FFWPU USA: On Sunday August 16, 2015, Dr. Ki Hoon Kim, Continental Chair of the Family Federation for World Peace and Unification, shared the following message at the Chicago Family Church about finding our true selves. In preparation for the third anniversary of True Father’s Seonghwa (ascension), this timely message is a profound reminder of how to inherit True Father’s legacy, understand his final wishes and know our role in building God’s kingdom on earth and in heaven.
I like the beautiful song we sang this morning, “You Are Everything.” That title is so wonderful.
Let’s see who’s going to Generation Peace Academy (GPA) for one year, two years or three years. Please stand up. (Applause)
I’d like to thank Rev. and Mrs. Inose. They were appointed by True Mother as Cheon Il Guk special itinerary workers, so they are going around from city to city. I asked them to not just give Sunday service, but stay two or three days and meet people and share about True Mother and True Parents’ message with family members. I asked them to take time being with family members and to touch their hearts, centering on True Parents, and hear what they really need from HSA-UWC or from myself and Dr. Balcomb. We’d like to get their suggestions and their feedback, and we bring back great ideas and visions centering on True Parents.
I’m going back to Korea on Tuesday for the third year anniversary of True Father’s Seonghwa (ascension), and I really want to let us deeply understand this upcoming Seonghwa anniversary, and inherit True Father’s spirit for the sake of our community and for the sake of all Unificationist families.
Shouldering the Cross
Today I’d like to share with you a scripture to support my sermon. It is from Matthew 16:24, the King James version. “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, ‘If any man will come after me, let him deny himself first and take up his cross and follow me.’”
To me this means I cannot follow the way of Jesus with no effort. I need to deny myself, carry my cross on my shoulder, and then I have the qualification to follow Jesus.
We call Jesus the symbol of God’s love. Think of how such a loving man like Jesus could share with his beloved disciples 2,000 years ago, how much Jesus received persecution, and how a handful of disciples tried to follow the way of Jesus, only for Jesus to push them harder among persecution. “Even though you follow, you are with me, first you must reject yourself and carry your own cross,” he taught. “Then you have the qualifications to follow me.”
That’s why we call him messiah, the only begotten son of our Heavenly Parent. So whoever believed in him, we need to reject (ourselves) and hang on our cross—all kind of difficulties, all kind of sufferings—upon our shoulders. When we open our eyes and ears, we can see the way of Jesus and we understand his message.
These days, we’ve been through a lot of suffering, and not only ourselves. Our family, even our True Parents, suffered a lot for the sake of America, for the sake of the world. Why have we been through this kind of suffering? Why must we have our own cross and follow Jesus’s way? The reason is none other than to save our family and save ourselves to enter the Kingdom of Heaven on earth and in heaven.
Today the title of my message is, “Finding My True Self.” How can I be a true son or daughter before True Parents, before our Heavenly Parent? Even 2,000 years ago, Jesus gave the standard for how to follow him. Jesus gave three conditions to his beloved disciples: “deny yourself, carry your cross, and follow me.”
The Individual Truth Body
So we are just around the corner from the memorial service for True Father’s Seonghwa anniversary, and I’d like to remember True Father’s course with my beloved Chicago family members, with the concept, “how I can find my true self.” The Divine Principle teaches about the individual truth body. I really love the section on the Principle of Creation and the individual truth body. What does that mean? It means that God created no one else like you. No one.
Yes, we can see some people are very similar, or their character is very familiar and remind us of our family members. However, God never created anyone else like you. That’s what “individual truth body” means. So each one of us is very precious, God’s created being. God invested in each one of us 100 percent of His energy and effort. He poured his love to create me and you.
Because the Fall of man took place, God sent his only begotten son, Jesus, who showed the way for people to re-enter God’s kingdom. This is the mission of the messiah: educating. This means you do not originate from God’s creation; you need meet this standard through education. This is a lifetime achievement of True Father. True Father had five different goals:
- Before he came, he made an announcement to the world: I am the Second Coming of the Messiah. He, too, needed to fulfill his own portion of responsibility. This was his commitment after he met Jesus at age 16. What Jesus told him first is, you must be a true filial son before our Heavenly Parent. This is the first condition to True Father: to be a true son of filial piety before Heavenly Parents and Jesus. This was his first commitment before he made an announcement about his mission.
- Secondly, True Father said, I need to inherit the heart of God, especially the suffering heart of God. How can we live as filial sons and daughters without understanding our parents’ condition, our parents’ situation? No one can claim “I am the son of filial piety before my parents” without understanding God’s suffering heart. This is the second condition True Father really wanted to fulfill as his own responsibility.
- After that he said, “I am the messiah, the Second Coming messiah, as True Parents, and looking for True Mother.” Without True Mother, True Father cannot be True Parents. How could he be a true messiah in practice? Without True Parents, he cannot proclaim, “I am the messiah, I am the savior.” After True Father met True Mother, he claimed, “From now on I am in the position of savior for the sake of humankind and the world.”
- We had the Original Divine Principle and now the new Exposition of Divine Principle, which proclaims about the truth of God. This is the first mission as the savior, after True Father and True Mother’s holy wedding ceremony: delivering a new truth.
- And then, finally, our True Parents needed to build the Kingdom of Heaven on earth. What did the scripture in Matthew say? What did Jesus say in his first sermon? “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is upon you.” This was Jesus’s first message: to build the Kingdom of Heaven on earth and in heaven, we need to understand ourselves, understand Jesus and understand Jesus’s message.
Jesus was on the exact same course as True Father 2,000 years ago. This was a commitment Jesus made 2,000 years ago, and it’s now True Father’s commitment, as I explained the five points above. Read More